Monday, March 10, 2014

The skills debate is changing, but you’re still doing the same

Guest Blog: Neil Morrison


I’m fascinated by the changing employment market. I’m fascinated by education. And I’m absolutely fascinated by the crossover between the two. Any HR professional worth their salt (and there are more than you’d imagine) should be intrigued, concerned and curious about the changing landscape of skills and education.


Let me put it simply,


If you’re a carpenter, you need to know that you’re going to get enough good quality wood.


If you’re a butcher, you want to know where your meat is coming from.


If you make wine, you care about the grapes.


Do we have a skills shortage, a skills deluge or a skill mix problem?


Well, probably a bit of all three.


I was taking part in an interview last week about over skilled and under utilized employees. I won’t take you through the whole thing, you have better things to do with your lives. But a couple of comments stuck in mind.


At the end the interviewer said to me, “thank you, it is great to hear from a company that recognized the presence of a skills mismatch. Most of the companies we’ve spoken to said they haven’t witnessed it.”


Really? My response was, “ask their employees what they think”.


The second was an observation that had been stuck in my brain for a while. When I talk to my colleagues in Germany, a large proportion of the HR people have a PhD. I can’t think of a single one in the UK. Clearly they are over skilled and over qualified. Or not?


I’m not sure there is any point to this. I’m not sure I have a great reveal to make or any insight to give, just more questions.


At a time when we are talking about a skills shortage.


Do we actually have more than we think? Is the labor market broken? Has immigration, the democratization of tertiary education and the mobility of labor changed the rules of the game?


And are we all struggling to catch up?


via The skills debate is changing, but you’re still doing the same | change-effect.


Share Button

The skills debate is changing, but you’re still doing the same