Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Will Resumes Become Obsolete?

Two years ago while applying for jobs, I spent hours worrying about my resume. Is the wording okay? Do I love the design? Thinking about how to improve my resume kept me up at night because I knew that document was my chance to get noticed for an open position.


Recently, as I began my job search for an entry-level position, I saw more and more unique recruitment tools. Last month, I reviewed two applications that asked for links to all of my social media websites and to answer a questionnaire with some pretty unique questions—but did not ask for a resume.


A recent Wall Street Journal article confirmed my thought that more nontraditional means of recruitment might soon become popular.


“Companies are increasingly relying on social networks such as LinkedIn, video profiles and online quizzes to gauge candidates’ suitability for a job. While most still request a resume as part of the application package, some are bypassing the staid requirement altogether.”


Union Square Ventures, a NY venture-capital firm, asked applicants to send links that represent their “web presence” in lieu of a resume. They also have applicants submit short videos demonstrating why they would be the best employee. As a firm that has invested in technology companies including Twitter, Foursquare and Zynga, Union Square Ventures said this helps the firm get candidates that understand what they are looking for.


With technology today, companies are finding that they can learn more about a candidate’s personality and skills by taking a less traditional recruitment route. Many companies are starting to use social media as a recruitment tool. I recently blogged about why it is a great idea to become a “super social” job seeker– because that’s where companies are looking.


Resumes are still the first step of the recruiting process for most companies, but that might not be the case in the near future. Job seekers that may not look as qualified on paper should seek out unique recruiting opportunities– it’s a great way to showcase your strengths and it could lead to a new job. If we’re being honest, I still think about how to improve my resume all the time, but these days there is much more to consider and many different routes that might lead to a great job.


via Will Resumes Become Obsolete? | Resumebear Online Resume.


Share Button

Will Resumes Become Obsolete?